From A Wiki of Ice and Fire
The Doom of Valyria, often referred to as the Doom, was a cataclysm which caused the collapse of the Valyrian Freehold. The Valyrian Freehold had expanded their power wealth for five thousand years, until one fateful day in 114 BC when every hill for five hundred miles exploded, filling the air with ash, smoke and fire, so hot that even the dragons did not survive. Buildings and entire towns were destroyed by earthquakes, while lakes began to boil. The Fourteen Flames erupted, sending molten rock into the air, and red clouds rained down dragonglass. The Valyrian peninsula broke into several smaller islands, and the Smoking Sea formed between them. A tsunami resulting from the disaster destroyed Velos and Ghozai, located on the nearby Isle of Cedars.
The few dragonlords in Essos who had not been in Valyria when the Doom occurred did not long outlive the collapse of the Freehold,. This left House Targaryen as the last surviving dragonlord family in the world, since Lord Aenar Targaryen had moved his family, their possessions, and their dragons to the island Dragonstone, where the westernmost Valyrian outpost was located, twelve years prior, after his daughter Daenys had a powerful prophetic dream predicting the destruction of Valyria.
The Doom was followed by the Century of Blood, in which several factions struggled for power. To this day, it is said that the Doom still rules Valyria, and the lands are considered to be demon-haunted, while the sea still boils and smokes. Read more…
- “Men are such faithless creatures.” – Varys
“Who’s the traitor today?” – Tyrion Lannister
“So much villainy, it sings a sad song for our age. Did honor die with our fathers?” – Varys
“My father is not dead yet.” – Tyrion 
- "No man is free. Only children and fools think elsewise." – Tywin Lannister 
- "If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die." – Eddard Stark to Bran 
Did you know...
- ↑ A Clash of Kings, Chapter 49, Tyrion XI.
- ↑ A Dance with Dragons, Chapter 8, Tyrion III.
- ↑ A Game of Thrones, Chapter 1, Bran I, 13.
- ↑ The World of Ice & Fire, The Westerlands: Casterly Rock.
- ↑ A Storm of Swords, Chapter 45, Catelyn V.
- ↑ A Feast for Crows, Chapter 27, Jaime III.
About the Wiki
Ten sister Wikis in Other Languages
Links to articles that are available in other languages are on left side on the page.
All pages can be edited and you are welcome to join us and contribute to this wiki.